Category Archives: Ask Betsy

Q. I’m selling my house and understand I need to disclose any issues I’ve had. The house had an electrical fire but that was years before I moved in and we haven’t had any problems. Is that something I need to disclose?

A. Yes, you need to disclose any issues that you have personally had or any issues that you are aware of from prior owners.  I encourage sellers to disclose everything they can think of.  If you don’t disclose something and a potential buyer finds out, they wonder what else has not been disclosed, regardless of if the omission was intentional.  In addition, if you don’t disclose and the new owner has a problem related to the initial issue, they could come back to you for damages if there is knowledge that you knew about it but failed to disclose the information.

Q. I heard Pepine Realty’s Team Pepine was in the top 105 teams in the country for the Wall Street Journal real estate rankings. What does that mean?

A. Pepine Realty was named one of America’s top real estate professional teams by REAL Trends, as advertised in The Wall Street Journal for the third year in a row. Team Pepine is now a member of the “The Thousand Top Real Estate Professionals,” a prestigious, national award ranking sponsored annually by REAL Trends and advertised in The Wall Street Journal. Team Pepine is now ranked in the top one-half of 1 percent of the more than 1.3 million Realtors® nationwide.

Q. I live in an older home and am going to sell it. I have a pool and am worried about having showings with young children. What do you recommend?

A. In the last month, I have witnessed two close calls of a child who did not know how to swim either fall into or almost fall into a pool of a house I was showing her parents. If you have a pool and have your house for sale, you must keep the child safety gate up during showings. Many older pools do not have a child safety gate, but I highly recommend you get one. If you do not, put a reminder note on the front door warning the parents that there is no gate around the pool. Also, make sure all the doors to the pool are locked prior to a showing. Being even more proactive, you can ask if children will be attending the showing and insist on being present if they will be.